Tuesday, March 11, 2014

What's new over here....

So long since I've blogged, been behind on most things lately, so I am not surprised. Things are busy (as usual) but I just wanted to take a moment to record what our days are filled with these past couple months since I posted.

Disney was fabulous. It really is the happiest place on earth and the pure joy in my babies eyes 95% of the time we are there is worth every penny. I wrote a lot about in our photo album of our trip, but for the blog record it was magical as ever. My favourite thing about going anywhere is the closer bond we have when we come home. The sweet memories, the inside jokes, the special times that just the five of us enjoyed together. None of this would be possible if Claire wasn't such an easy going, good natured toddler. I can't say Chloe and Carter would've been able to keep up the pace she does at 2 years old, but Claire has no problem, and I see this as a tender mercy from my Heavenly Father. He knows how ready I am to move into this new phase of life that doesn't include naps, diaper bags and tantrums. And for that I am so grateful. As much as I loved having 3 little babes, it's so nice to jump on a plane and have an adventure.

My brother Taylor has slept over every weekend for the last few months so he could be a part of the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat production that Brampton Stake put on. He loved it and we loved having him around. He is such a good, patient uncle to my crazy kids. Whether they were waking him up by jumping on top of him at 7am every Saturday, or whether he was babysitting late at night so Darryl and I could go out for dinner, he was great to have around. He did a million magic tricks, zipped the kids' zippers, made us laugh, emptied our drink fridge in the basement with his friends after rehearsals, and basically brought a lot of fun into our house.  I will miss him a lot now that it is over. Maybe he will come live with us after his mission till he gets married the way my brother Dylan did. My sisters and I have always been close, but my bond with my brothers as grown deeper because they have spent so much time with our family, and I love that. The musical was so fabulous too. As a result Claire is obsessed and asks for "Joseph"on my Iphone every day. Her favourite song is Jacob and Sons. I love when she sings it. It's a nice change from Let it Go, which she sang constantly, even in the middle of which we discovered when we slept in close quarters at Disney World. I had heard her at 4am belting it out at home in her crib, but I was still thinking there was a possibility I might have been dreaming. Until we shared a room for a week.

(Mom Disclaimer, about to do some serious bragging about my kids)
The parent teacher interviews in February made Darryl and I so proud. I really love those kids of mine. Both of their teachers, (who we met with separately) had the exact same opening line when we came in and sat down. "Chloe/Carter, what can we say about Chloe/Carter, we love them!" It was really nice to hear what they had to say. Sometimes as parents Darryl and I worry when we see how the behave at home, or in our pew at sacrament meeting, but it's nice to know they seem to know how to act at school and with their peers. They are good leaders, good listeners, compassion and kind. Their teachers were so encouraging. Carter's teacher said he is reaping the benefit of having a "language rich" home, since he is learning to read quickly. I really felt like we have been lacking in the story time around here lately, so her words have made us step it up around here in that department. Chloe's teacher even choked up a little bit and shed a tear when she talked about her. I am so grateful for these 4 women that do so much to enrich the lives of my kids. I still keep them home Tuesdays for gymnastics and chill time, and it's great. They have really come a long way in gymnastics too. Darryl coaches Carter's basketball team every Saturday morning too and it's been really nice to have that time together. It'll be finished in 2 weeks.

Claire has lots of imaginary friends (Sofia, Rapunzel, Anna) who she will have long conversations with about everything imaginable. I love my afternoons alone with her and she loves her mornings with Daddy. Another tender mercy is the fact that she likes to sleep late and I get home not long after she has woken up and had her breakfast. I think I would find it a lot harder to leave for work in the mornings if she was awake, but she never usually is. She loves Thursdays at Kinderclub and lunch dates with Nana. She is still  Frozen obsessed, and her Anna doll is her very best friend. She calls me "Mommy" and calls Chloe "Mama"which Chlo just loves. So do I.

Darryl and his big brother have gotten memberships at Good Life and love to get up and go in the wee hours of the morning. He is super busy as Elder's Quorum president and he loves it. Being Stake Girls's Camp director and 2nd counsellor in Young Women keeps my days really fully, but I really love the girls and especially the women I get to serve with and talk to almost daily. They really bless my life.

We had hopes of building our dream home this summer, but found out after requesting a building permit that the spot we wanted to build on was deemed swamp land and flood plain by the Niagara Escarpment Commission.  Darryl was much more disappointed then I was about it. but I felt relieved more than anything. We could easily find another piece of land, but I just don't think I could do country living right now. As much fun as it is to build a home, I had visions of me totally stressed about about constantly driving into town to school, work, seminary, etc. for years to come. Plus, I really don't know if I'm cut out for country living. I really don't have an "outdoor" bone in my body. This long, cold, snowy winter has been hard on a lot of people I love, but I really couldn't care less what the temperature is outside. It doesn't really matter to me if it's -30 or +30, you will still find me indoors! One day, if it's meant to be will will move, but it won't be this year.

We have made a few trips to Markdale in March, since my grandma has been in the hospital. She hasn't been receiving the best care there, which has been so frustrating for all of us. Hard on my Grandpa too, since he spent a lot of December in the hospital as well with his back problems. Fun to visit lots though, and to have an opportunity to serve them by helping around the house and spending time together.

We got cable again to watch the olympics, raptors, march madness, world cup, etc. and it has been so much fun. I really love watching professional sports. It's fun to curl up with Day at night and cheer for our favourite teams. I thought I would get sucked into my talk shows and reality TV again, but it hasn't happened yet. Who has the time?

We had another girl night/boy night with the kids again. The love this! Darryl took Carter to the Raptors and the girls and I watched The Princess and the Popstar. The kids really love this. The first time we did it the girls had Starburst and the boys had hot dogs, so they think this has to be on the menu every time we do this. So it is.

So much to be grateful for!


No comments:

Post a Comment