
As I have gotten older, I would say I have become a moderate feminist. I used to think of that word negatively, but not anymore. I would say I am just more aware, more comfortable in my own role as a woman and basically concerned with women's equality.
So it really took me a back this week when a girlfriend and I were playing a game where we would quote a line from a classic Disney movie or other musicals and the other person would have to guess the scene/song/character/movie.
We were dying laughing as we talked about old musicals we used to watch over and over again, loving the songs and characters. To play the game you had to really think about the text. I started thinking about some of the songs my sisters and I would sing all the time, and I was totally shocked as I thought about the lyrics:
Femininity-Summer Magic
You must walk feminine
Talk feminine
Smile and beguile feminine
Utilize your femininity
That's what every girl should know, if she wants to catch a beau
Dance feminine
Glance feminine
Act shy and sigh feminine
Compliment his masculinity
That's what every girl should know, if she wants to catch a beau
Let him do the talking
Men adore good listeners
Laugh, but not too loudly (Haha)
If he should choose to tell a joke
Be radiant, but delicate
Memorize the rules of etiquette
Be demure, sweet and pure
Hide the real you
You must look feminine
Dress feminine
You're at your best feminine
Emphasize your femininity
That's what every girl should know
Femininity, femininity
That's the way to catch a beau
BLESS YOUR BEAUTIFUL HIDE
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Bless your beautiful hide, wherever you may be
We ain't met yet but I'm a-willing to bet
You're the gal for me
Bless your beautiful hide
You're just as good as lost
I don't know your name but I'm a-stakin' my claim
Lest your eyes is crossed
Oh, I'd swap my gun and I'd swap my mule
Though whoever took it would be one big fool
Or pay your way through cookin' school
If'n you would say I Do
Bless your beautiful hide, prepare to bend your knee
And take that vow 'cause I'm a-tellin' you now
You're the gal for me
Pretty and trim but kinda slim
Heavenly eyes but, oh, that size
She's gotta be right to be the bride for me
Bless your beautiful hide, wherever you may be
Pretty and trim but not too slim
Heavenly eyes and just the right size
Simple and sweet, and sassy as can be!
Bless her beautiful hide
Yes, she's the gal for me
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy being a girl...lol, but I was really shocked. Mind you, we both (along with the 10 sisters we have between us) watched these movies countless times and I wouldn't say we are now oppressed women. We are both college educated stay at home moms who work part time, have good self-esteem and have no problem putting our husbands (or any man for that matter) in his place when necessary. I mean that in the sweetest way of course. I still would want my daughters to enjoy these films in the fun way that I did, I guess it's just good to be aware, and a little thankful that you don't hear these kind of lyrics in mainstream films/musicals nowadays. I hope.
Mind you, this was also on the cusp of me reading Mrs. Duggar newly released Seven Basic Needs of a Husband pamphlet last week, which made me want to throw up, so maybe I was just on a roll.
No comments:
Post a Comment