Thursday, February 9, 2012

Space

The other day I snapped at Chlo and explained to her that now that she and her brother had given up naps, Mommy needs some space every once and awhile.

Today, she came into the living room where I was feeding a cranky Claire Bear who has a cold. She took a look at my distressed face and asked if I needed some space.

My heart sank.

I instantly thought of the movie Spanglish. There is a scene where a pre-teen girl tells her mother after a fight she needs "some space" The mother gets right in her daughter's face and announces firmly, "Between us, there is no space"

This line has been a running joke with my own mother, who has quoted it to my sisters and I many times. And it was all I could think of when Chlo said that to me this morning.

Sure, she drives me crazy from time to time, She is intense, we are similar strong personalities and since she was born, she has wanted to be where I am and do what I am doing, which is lovely and draining all at the same time. But I wouldn't have it any other way, cause she is my baby and I am her mama.

And between us, there is no space.

1 comment: