Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I Will Rest in You

I have been it what you could call a bit of a "funk" spiritually. I had a rare moment to myself a few days ago and I took a minute to stretch and listen to the lyrics of the CD I had on in the background....

"Take me back to you, to the place that I once knew, as a little child
Constantly the eyes of God watched over me.
Oh I want to be in that place that I once knew, as a little child
Fall into the bed of faith prepared for me
I will rest in you"

It was exactly how I was feeling.

When I was really young, I felt the Spirit constantly. I was always having those little tingly moments where the Holy Ghost would prick at my heart. I remember being at my first YW broadcast and hearing President Hinckley speak and knowing he was a prophet of God. YW provided tons of spiritual experiences for me, leadership, seminary, all of those things were a regular "boost". As a YSA in Alberta, I had even more daily experiences provided by my room mates, institute, my YSA ward activities, and then as a young married couple, the Temple was where Darryl and I would go weekly to recharge. Then, as teachers in different capacities at church, we were constantly preparing lessons and having our own in-depth conversations about them.

Now as a stay-at-home, nursing mom, it's up to me to be in charge of my own spirituality. I can't just whip down to the temple or pop into a class. I nurse sweet baby Claire through at least 1 or 2 of the 3 hour meetings on a Sunday. It isn't prepared for me on a plate, with me just needing to "show up" and be fed. It is up to me to prepare it as well as take in all in. And I need to put some effort into that. I do pretty well at feeding my kids with FHE, prayers, songs etc. But in 2012, I really need to get into some sort of regular "feeding" with scriptures and study of my own happening daily.

Brother Templeman quoted Harold B. Lee in Sunday School this week when he said, "A testimony is fragile. It is as hard to hold as a moonbeam. It is something you have to recapture every day of your life”

So very true.

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you on this one, Heather. I struggle hugely when I have to be on my own. Before I got sick, Erin, Emily, Kim and I were doing an evening of scripture study together, twice a month. Each night one of us just brought a passage with some thoughts and we sat and discussed it. It was fantastic, and a good way to keep me going in the time in between. We should think about starting it up again, and you're more than welcome to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to join you! that sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete