Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Calm before the Storm....Kind of















It seems like we seem to be gearing up rather than slowing down as we anticipate baby Claire's arrival in the next few days. We have been super busy. I've been trying get all the Halloween costumes ready, Halloween treat bags for class parties and church classes organized, as well as plan Carter's Toy Story 2nd birthday party, which we are going to do the same day as the baby blessing. But that is also my idea of fun, and it has made the time go by faster too.

Thursday I went to the doctor, and she told me that I wouldn't be working through to the end of September, like I had planned, so Wednesday ended up being my last day of work. She also told me the baby is breech. She looks like a little bungee jumper, feet first with the cord wrapped around her ankles. I'm really praying and hoping she will turn, but Darryl, my dad and brother gave me a blessing on Sunday that made me feel a lot better abut the whole situation, how ever it happens to turn out. When I got home from the doctor, my good friend Diane stopped by just to do my dishes and be on her way. She was truly inspired and I welcomed her help, as I got ready to do those maternity pics.

Friday was busy with a play date in the morning with some friends at my house, then I made some caramel apples, then we headed out to the Templeman's house for supper. Kelly is a fantastic cook, everything she makes is so delicious, so it was an evening full of good food and fun. Our kids really had a lot of fun together too. After a morning of tears and tantrum while their other little friends were over earlier that day, I wondered if I was pushing it, but they played from 5-10:30pm no problem after having a long nap that afternoon. It was heavenly for their almost 9 month pregnant mothers.

Saturday morning the Bishop of our ward came over to speak to me about a new calling at church. I was a little nervous as to what he was going to ask me to do, but honestly if I could hand pick a calling, I would chose what I was given. He asked if I would serve as 2nd counselor in the Relief Society Presidency of our ward, and I couldn't be more excited about it. I have a deep love of the Relief Society program and I am just so happy about it, and feel so blessed the Lord saw fit to give me this calling at the perfect time. After his visit, we did a few errands, took the kids to McDonald's for lunch, Chlo spilled milk all over her shirt, luckily we were in Walmart, so we picked up a new one, and rushed over to the movie theater to see the Wiggles.

It was the kids first time at the movies, and it was perfect, because it was a really interactive movie where they got to stand up and sing along and clap, and they had such a good time, they loved it. But it did definitely show us they are not ready for a real movie yet, because after the shock of the huge screen and the novelty of the popcorn wore off, they were ready to run, and luckily in this setting they could. After we got home from the movies, I rushed to get ready for a bridal shower for a girl at work. As I was driving there, I passed an old women struggling with her shopping bags, and felt prompted to turn around and help. I offered her a ride, and as I loaded her bags into the van, she told me she was only planning to get 1 box of kleenex, but it was such a good price, she bought one for everybody on her floor in her retirement home! She was very agile for 89 years old, and it I'm sure it was a least an hour walk for her from the store to her home. As we drove, she chatted about the war, getting divorced in the 70's and how her children and put her in a home against her will. I think she was hungry for conversation, because even after we pulled into the parking lot, she continued to chat away. I didn't mind though.

I made it to the shower for Ashley, a good friend from work whom I adore. We were always the only twenty-somethings in the school, and we were fast friends. She has moved to a different school now, so I don't get to see her everyday, and I miss that. She is getting married on October 15th, and if this baby will allow, I would definitely love to be there. It was nice catching up with other EA's that had moved on from our school that I had once worked with too. I went from the shower, to home to help Darryl put the kids to bed, threw on a skirt and headed back out to the Relief Society broadcast.

I could write an entire post about how inspiring that was in itself, especially as I sat there and pondered the responsibility of my new calling. President Uctdorf's talk was my absolute favourite. President Uchtdorf defined an acceptable sacrifice as giving up “something good for something of far greater worth. Dedicating some of our time to studying the scriptures or preparing to teach a lesson is a good sacrifice. Spending many hours stitching the title of the lesson into homemade potholders for each member of your class may not be.” President Uchtdorf noted that every situation is different, and suggested asking, “Am I committing my time and energies to the things that matter most?” in order to distinguish between good and foolish sacrifices. This was some of my favourite advice.

Sunday morning we were up and at it early because we were heading to Newmarket Ward to see my little brother Taylor receive his Aaronic Priesthood. It was a really a special day for our family, and the first time everyone of us had been together in a few weeks, so it was really nice. My brother Dylan ordained him, and the spirit was so strong. As he tearfully gave him this special blessing in front of his quorum, I though about the great responsibility the Lord blesses these young men with. It was really nice to go to Sunday school along with Darryl for the first time in forever. Darryl has been teaching youth Sunday School for the past 2 years, so we rarely get to attend a class together. Back at my parents house for lunch, we enjoyed the beautiful weather and just being together. My mum and sisters made Halloween cupcakes with the kids too. My mum also kindly offered to keep them overnight, which was so nice. I spent Monday all alone, preparing some things for my new calling, organizing a few things around the house, but mostly in weird positions that I had googled that are supposed to make a breech baby turn!

That night, Darryl and I headed back to Bradford to get the kids, and after I went out for supper with some of my very oldest and dearest friends from elementary school and high school. The 4 of us are so busy with kids, marriage, careers we don't see each other as often as I would like. My friend Orleigh has been in university for the last 10 years pursuing her dream of being a doctor, plus she lives in Saskatchewan now, so it was an extra treat to have her in town. I love these girls so much, and they know me better than anybody. We talked and laughed till I almost peed my pants. We talked about everything from food, religion in schools, childbirth, rather stupid pranks we pulled in high school, getting (and not getting) our driver's licenses, working at Sobeys, gun control, women's rights, politics, Bradford news/gossip, you name it and after we were done eating, they came back to Orangeville to see the Baby Claire's nursery. I am lucky to have them. They keep me real and I always feel better about myself after I leave them.

This morning it's just me and Carter, while Chloé is at Kinderclub, and I am going to stop writing and and go enjoy this special time. There will only be a few mornings left like this, and he will only be my "baby" for a little while longer.

2 comments:

  1. I adore you tooo! Thanks so much for everything! It was great to see you!!! And I can't wait to meet this baby. loveyou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the arrival of baby Claire tomorrow! I hope everything goes smoothly and all is well with the C-section. Heather, I also wanted to say thank you for all your kind words on my blog. It is so nice to hear words of encouragement from someone who has been where I am now. You are a great example and I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete