I can't believe I have only been out of school less than I week and I am already talking about it, but I saw a woman at the park the today who pulled her children out of school, deciding that homeschooling was a better option for her family. All though it is something I have often thought about doing myself, I was a little sad for her children. The woman is perfectly capable of teaching her children what they need to know and is university educated, but I couldn't help but think of all that her children were going to miss out on.
Having the better part of my life in the public school system daily, either as a student or an employee, and believing in the the system itself, I was not prepared at all for the feelings I've had since I've had children of my own and thought of the prospect that it would be MY children walking the halls of the school that I work at, hearing bad language, being in a crowded classroom, and possibly wearing a Katy Perry t-shirt and shorts that look like denim underwear. Yes, I was scared. I thought, why not just educate them myself? But then we would have an awesome assembly where I would feel such pride and school spirit, or a really good gym class with the kids all working together, or watching the gr 8's read to the kindergartens and get such enjoyment out of it, and I would find myself thinking, I don't want my kids to miss this, they deserve this, and I can't give them this at home. Sure, we could join a home school group, sign up for organized sports, and I think I could make sure that my kids weren't completely socially awkward, but it wouldn't be the same.
There are a few things that deter me from educating my children at home, the fact that I will soon have 3 children with 3 different needs is a big one. I don't think it would be fair for Chloe's school day to be interrupted because I had to nurse or put the baby down for a nap, and that pattern would only continue, a nine year having to put her school day on hold because the 6 year old student was having a tantrum. I just don't think it would be fair. I often over hear parents at my school say their child is so bright, they are bored in their class. I rarely think this is case, it seems to make parents feel better to say that, although sometimes it can be true, but I really don't think it's the worst thing in the world for a child to learn how to conform at an early age as well. I know I may sound prehistoric in my thinking here, but that's how the entire world works. Jobs, church, even the grocery store for heaven sakes. We are doing this now, if you don't like it, too bad, they'll be something else you'll like later, but for now this is the way it is.
I read something recently that I thought hit the nail on the head:
"Children can perhaps be best described as beings of potential – during their school years, each child is in the process of discovering their talents and having them be nurtured in an attempt to best reach self-actualization. We believe a self-actualized individual is aware of their own limitations because their talents have been nurtured from a young age, with their mentors providing for their development.
Under the homeschooling system parents become much more exclusive mentors to a child, and this can be problematic. Although parents are generally aware of what their child is capable of, their assessments are not always accurate. This could be for a number of reasons – perhaps it may be due to the fact that their children are predominately seen in the home environment, limiting their chances to show off their potential in other situations. It could also be because parents sometimes assume that their children will share the same talents that they had. Simply stated, it would be unreasonable to assume parents could see the whole picture. This is why nearly everyone has someone in their life that helped to form their identity or helped them discover a talent – a mentor that is someone other than their parents; very often even a schoolteacher or a coach who gave them an opportunity to excel."
And I think that is my number one reason for putting my children in the public school system. Are there flaws? Of course, I can think of a plenty. Will anyone love my child as much as I do and give them the love and patience and attention that I can? No, never. No one will take my place in that regard, or do it as well as I do. I'm their mother, and I will always do that, and I do believe that education begins and continues in the home, but it is impossible for me to see that "whole picture" on my own. I am their mother and I will always think they are fantastic, which is why being their exclusive mentor could be so dangerous.
I am just so grateful that we live in a part of the world where my children can get the best education and opportunities out there, and as their primary mentor, my job is to help them find those things.
Well put! You know I'm often going back and forth about homeschooling and the public system. There are positives and flaws to both, and I can never seem to make up my mind. The best opinion I ever heard on this was that she and her husband considered each child individually, and re-evaluated the situation every year. Some of their children were homeschooled, some in the public system, and sometimes they went back and forth as needed.
ReplyDeleteI think, as a parent, we have the responsibility to see that our children are getting what is right for them. For example, if one of my kids was having some really serious bullying issues, I might pull him out for a time. Or if we wanted to travel, I would have no problem creating a program for my kids to follow. Conversely, I love that my kids can take advantage of a French language program that they couldn't get from me at home. What I really like is that I feel equally comfortable with both situations, so I would never be hindered by outside forces when making a decision.
I also realize that the education they get at school is only a part of their education, and a small one at that. Character, spiritual, physical and emotional education are all things in which I will likely take the primary role as teacher. Many days I am glad to have the help of professional teachers and schools in the area of "mental" education, since I already have so much on my plate to teach my kids!
You probably don't remember me, I found your blog through Julie's. I used to go to church in the Richmond Hill ward. I think your post is one all parents should read before deciding to home-school. Actually, it is probably one all parents should read, period. I loved what you said about conforming. I work with kids now and the part of the world I am currently living in doesn't promote or adhere to societal expectations of children (ie - not running around screaming in a restaurant, staring, respecting elders, saying please and thank you etc etc) and it is because I've experienced these behavioural atrocities, I value the Canadian way of child rearing so much more. I once read somewhere that we should tell our children "manners are our way of showing people we respect them" and I think that is along the lines of what you are talking about. Plus, if your children don't experience opposition, how will they ever be able to CHOOSE the right... Anyway, thank you for your post. I found it so insightful and I hope you don't mind me reading :)
ReplyDelete- Kayla
Thanks for checking out my blog! Pocahontas and I were trying to remember what your name was back in the Wigwam. Hope you and your family are well. I have similar views on this post on homeschooling vs. school system. Hope you are well! Love Ya!
ReplyDelete