Every July, I find myself scratching my head to remember theses important steps, so I am writing this so next year I can refer to it! (This is a pic of some jam I made for Chlo's Strawberry Shortcake party last year)
Strawberry Jam
I bought 7 quarts of strawberries at Zerhs for 2.99 each. This gave me almost 20 standard jars of jam and enough strawberries for 2 strawberry rhubarb pies.
Hull strawberries and crush them, throw them in a big pot (7 1/2 cups strawberries crushed) 1/2 cup lemon juice, 14 cups of sugar (about a bag and a half) and boil hard for 1 minute. Add two pouches of liquid CERTO and stir and skim for 5 minutes. Pour into jars and seal with sterilized lids.
For Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, mix 2 two cups strawberries with 2 cups chopped rhubarb and a generous amount of sugar to taste. I like to mix white and brown with a splash of lemon juice
Today was a fabulous day. I loved seeing all that jam lined up on the counter, went to a baby shower for an awesome girl who has been waiting for years to have a baby, she's due to have a boy this month. We struggled with infertility together, and would often talk about how difficult it was. Since then I have gone on to have 3 (almost) so needless to say I am THRILLED this little boy is joining her wonderful family. Had so much fun with the kids today too, Matt and Sarah came over with their kids and we bbq'd and enjoyed the heat. Now it's late and the kids are asleep, and instead of cleaning this sticky, messy house, Darryl and I are sitting in the cool basement, listening to LDS radio, preparing lessons for tomorrow and catching up on my blogging. Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment