Sunday, June 12, 2011

Spiritually Fed


I am very lucky. I happen to have both my children in Nursery at church and I have the calling of teaching Relief Society once a month. Having been either nursing, or in Primary or Young Women the first 5 years of our married life, I realize how lucky I am to sit and be spiritually fed each and every Sunday and I try not to take it for granted. This is my dream church life scenario and I know it won't last forever.

As I sat in a Baptism, and taught Relief Society to some wonderful sisters who always teach me more than I teach them, I felt so blessed. I was reminded of a verse from a Hillary Weeks song this afternoon after we got home from church:

"There are times I can't forget, dressed up in my Sunday best
Trying not to squirm and to maybe learn a bit of what the teacher would teach.
Then later lying in the dark, I felt a stiring in my heart,
And though I yearned to see what could not be seen, I still believed.

I guess I shouldn't find it odd, until we see the face of God
The yearning deep within us tells us there's more to come.
So when we taste of the divine, it leaves us hungry every time
For one more taste of what awaits when heaven's gate's are reached."

I love this. That's how I feel many Sundays when I get home from church, that hunger for divine things. Don't get me wrong, many Sundays I come home exhausted from chasing kids and begging them to stay in Nursery, but most are lovely, and for that I'm grateful.

1 comment: