
Saturday night I had the opportunity to attend the Relief Society Broadcast. It was fantastic. It`s a day I look forward to every year. The speakers were so wonderful, and since Carter is just waking up I don`t have the time to go into as much detail as I would like, but here were my fave points:
Sister Beck, the General Relief Society President talked about how a meeting like this is a gift. That is so true. We are so lucky to have a meeting with messages given specifically for us from the Lord. She talked about protecting ourselves from the powers of Satan and quoted one of my favorite scriptures from 2nd Nephi about how the devil will lead us "carefully" down to hell if we just think all is well in Zion(I'm paraphrasing of course) She said Daughters of God need to be prayerful and watchful. Something that I definitely need to do more of.
Sister Allred spoke of a couple with 2 small children who traveled from Paraguay 27 hours to be sealed in the temple of the Lord. It was winter, and on the way back the small children became sick and died. She spoke of this couple's strong faith and how they were so grateful they made the trip so that they could be an eternal family and be with their children again. It made me so grateful to have a husband and children that are mine forever.
Sister Thompson spoke on being compassionate and becoming a better visiting teacher (something I need to do way better at) She said to look at is as a blessing, rather than a burden, and not just a statistic, but learning to love those we visit.
President Monson was amazing. He said True Charity is love in action. He talked about not pointing out others imperfections, not judging, but helping and loving one another. He spoke about refining ourselves, rather than being quick to point out others flaws. I loved a story he told about when he was called to be an apostle 47 years ago. (Man he must be tired, that is a looooong life of service) Sister Monson arrived at the tabernacle, and didn't have a place to sit. A friend from the General Relief Society Board waved Sister Monson over to come and sit with her in a section that had been roped off for board members only. As Sister Monson sat down, another board member behind her made a rude comment about how Sister Monson didn't belong in the section. President Monson chuckled as he thought about the woman's reaction to his call as an apostle and how she must have felt about her remarks. I laughed, but I thought to myself, who would I be in that situation? Would I be the kind friend, the familiar welcoming face, waving Sister Monson down, or would I be the one making a comment about who should sit where?
I came away from that night with so much insight and gratitude to be a member of such a wonderful organization. Emily and Dylan offered to baby-sit so Darryl and I could go to a movie after the broadcast, but I didn't want to ruin all the good things I was feeling by stepping into the "world" again. We stayed in, and it was good.
What a great summary of points! My memory is not nearly so good, and while I remember that amazing things I felt, and I have a notebook of impressions and actions I want to take because of the things I heard, it was nice to read a succinct summary again.
ReplyDeleteBy the way - when I got home James suggested we watch a movie, and I said exactly the same thing - I didn't want to jump back into "the world" after such a spiritually filling evening!