Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Letter to a Friend

A letter I wrote to a good friend....

Dear Jessie,
Hey prego lady! I have been meaning to write you back FOREVER, sorry it has taken so long! You and I were talking about having 2 babies fifteen months apart and what tips could I offer...lol I don't want to scare you by any means, but it the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire life. It is awesome, and I love them and I like to fast forward in my mind to them being in the same jk/sk class together and going to youth dances together, and being good friends and all of that, but right now it is tough. so sleep as much as you can now, take time for yourself and get a good network of support.

Here is why It is so hard:
Every 10 minutes someone cries, falls, poops or breaks something.
You will never have time to shower and do your hair.
You will never eat a hot meal.
You will be interrupted 156879076 times a day.
You never get to pee alone.
You are trying to get one to take a bottle while you're trying to get the other one to give it up.
You are trying to ween one and toilet train the other.
The first 6 months I was so tired I don't even remember them.
Two year tantrums will some right around the time the other starts crawling like a maniac and getting into everything.
Your house will always be a filthy mess not matter how hard you try.
Your husband will come home and help you and be supportive and you'll feel good, but then he has to go to work the next day :(
The want to play with the same toy all the time. Someone always ends up in tears. Sometimes it will be you :)
You will always smell like poop or barf or have something stuck in you hair.
Your back will hurt from carrying 2 babies constantly.
You'll get frustrated because nobody can put on a coat, get a drink, put a shoe or wipe their nose by themselves.
Sundays (which used to be my favourite day) are tough. The tiny one wants a nap just as it's time to go to sacrament, the bigger one will just be starting to get used to nursery and you'll want to be with her, but you'll spend most of the time in the mother's lounge with the three month old.

My advice, try and get them sleeping at the same time so you can recharge, even if it's just for half an hour.
Take people up on offers to help.
Go on kids free dates as soon as you can.
Pick one thing at a time that you want to accomplish (ie weening, bottles, toilet training, etc.)
Don't be too hard on yourself, or Kate. Remember you are learning and she is still a baby.
Remember how lucky you are to have strong healthy babies.
Get a book called "A Mother's Book of Secrets" by Linda Eyre and Shawni Potiher from Deseret Book. It's the best.

There are a million wonderful things everyday too. Seeing a sibling relationship form is the best thing. EVER. The love them have for each other will melt your heart a million times a day. You'll wonder how you got the best two kids on the entire planet! Turn to Jeff, I know he's a lot like Darryl and will want to help you however you you can.

Most of all remember you can do it! Heavenly Father has trusted you with these precious girls for a reason. And when you feel like you can't hang on for those last few hours before Jeff comes home, turn it over to the Lord and I really believe he will send you angels to help. I have only had a few times where I really didn't know how I was going to get to the end of the day, and I know it's only because of that help from the Lord that I made it!

I love ya, call me anytime. Hope you are feeling good and I hope this helps!

Love Heather

P.S. It has taken me 55 minutes to write this. That's what I get for trying to do this when the kids are awake. Just to give you an idea, since I have started this Chloe has thrown a piece of her tea set across the room and it hit Carter and gave him a bleeding nose. While I was giving Chloe a timeout Carter ate dog food and splashed in the toilet. They have asked me for "num nums" 20 times even though we just finished breakfast less than an hour ago. Good thing they are so dang cute!

1 comment:

  1. Even though this letter was written for someone else... it it was great to hear. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete