Sunday, March 28, 2010

Grandparents




How I love my grandparents, they are all such amazing people, and I am so glad that my Chloé and Carter has gotten to know them all. We were very lucky as kids. We got to see all 4 of our grandparents every week. I have so many fun memories of each of them.

My Grandpa Genoa was a teacher. He would let me sit with him and let me "mark" his papers. He would take me to my great-grandmother's house to work on their farm. We had so much fun riding in the truck, picking cucumbers, playing with the dog, and pumping water from the well. He is an amazing carpenter and has made some beautiful furniture for our home. He is so funny and is always cracking jokes. The same jokes. Over and over again. Still funny.

My Grandma Genoa and Darryl I think are the only people who truly get me. I truly am my grandma's girl. She would always take me on her Saturday morning errands and then out for breakfast. She taught me everything I know about cooking, baking, gardening and sewing. None of which I am fabulous at, but I just like spending time with her. But she was a good and patient teacher to a not so patient grand-daughter. She calls me everyday and reminds me to slow down and always be true to myself. She is so smart, an avid reader and the proudest Canadian I know.

My Papa Wilson is awesome. I don't know anyone who knows him who doesn't love him. He came to Canada 44 years ago from Scotland and has worked so hard to build a life for him and his family here in Canada. He spent time in the Navy and swears like a sailor (which we always got a kick out of as kids) He loves animals and swears they're smarter than people. He knows everything there is to know about computers electronics and prides himself on the fact that everyone at Best Buy knows him by name. But most importantly, he loves people and is quick to remind me that "nothing is more important than folk"

My Gran Wilson is the funnest person I know. Everything about her is young and fun. Nothing about her is practical. She loves everything that glitters, loves sequins and sparkles. She always looks beautiful and I always loved her red hair. She would take us to the "pictures" (movies) and "sledging" (tobogganing) She would let me sit for hours with a huge box of earrings and I would take one pair out, put another in, over and over. Every Sunday night we watched Road to Avonlea and America's Funniest Home Videos. She always to this day plays with my hair and tickles my neck every time I see her, and she has the softest skin ever.

I'm really lucky.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this post. I too am so lucky to know and grow up around all my grandparents. I should write out all the amazing things about them like you have. Such a good idea !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carrie, I just don't want to forget, and I want my kids to know how awesome they are. You are one cute pregnant lady by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky. This makes me miss my grandparents... I have none left :(

    ReplyDelete