So when Darryl told me he had something to add to the calendar on April 24, I protested a little wanting to know what was so important. Turned out it was important. President Kuetell wanted to meet with Darryl and he wanted me to join him. Darryl started to think he was being released as Elder's Quorum President. He was sad because he has really enjoyed that calling.
"Maybe you'll be the new ward clerk?" I said.
Sunday morning came and President Kuetell extended a call to Darryl to serve in the bishopric as second counsellor. We were surprised, but we were happy. So happy. My husband is a wonderful, compassionate and dedicated man. I knew he would be wonderful in this new role and we were both so excited for him and his opportunity to grow and serve others. Then we asked President Kuetell how he made it work when he was in the bishopric and his wife was in stake YW. He said if he told us what it was really like it would scare us. Half joking, half serious. But he promised our family would be blessed.
We walked out of the office, kind of in shock. The happy feeling was lingering, but the logistics of what this would mean for our family started flooding into my mind. How would he make it to bishopric and ward counsel every week if I was travelling to another ward? We only have one car. Who is going to watch the kids and get them to our ward if we are both gone? Our in-laws would if they could, but their callings in the YSA ward took them out of town every Sunday for most of the day. I started to panic a little, but knew it would all work out.
As we continue to walk down the hall towards the chapel so we could take a seat before sacrament started, President Smith called out to us to come and chat with him in the bishop's office. Then a new wave of emotion flooded over me. A different kind of panic. "Please don't release me!" I thought in my head. "Shoot. He is going to release me. Please don't, we will make this work!! I know we can!! Just please don't release me, I need to keep serving these girls, it's only been 5 months, I am just getting started, please don't release me, I am so not ready and can't think of one other calling I would want. Please no."
It turned out to be quite the opposite. He asked if I would accept the calling of Stake Young Women's President. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. I have had a lot of callings in my life, and almost every time I was called, I knew it was coming. The Spirit had prepared me. I had that "feeling". This came out of no where for me.
I have also never been president of anything in my life. I am great at taking an assignment and running with it. I am supportive. I am a good wingman. Not a president. Not to mention the fact that our last YW president is one of the most amazing women on the face of the planet, and filling her shoes would be next to impossible.
President Smith mentioned although the rest of his presidency and the high council was unanimous in the decision, he still was hesitant to place so much responsibility on a young family, but the Spirit had told him we could handle it. He told us how our family would be blessed and how our children would especially be blessed as we served the Lord and the saints in the Barrie Stake. And that was all I needed to hear. Then that familiar feeling of the Spirit flooded over me. This was a good thing. This was right.
That Sunday will go down in the books for us I tell ya. Darryl was ordained a high priest with his Dad and his grandfather in attendance. The air was thick with the Spirit all day as we kind of floated around. Our house was filled with family and friends dropping by with support, love and some good advice from people who have been in the same position. It was a beautiful day, and even though I didn't get my nap with Janice, I wouldn't have changed a thing.
I don't think we have had a blank square on our calendar since. We bought a little 2005 Accent on Kijiji for 1300 bucks and it has taken us to many bishopric meetings, ward conferences, ward councils, stake council meetings and the temple already. I had no idea that these 2 callings would be a daily part of our lives, but it's good. We are busy, but I am so happy. Summer has brought Girls Camp, Leadership, a dozen conference calls and I couldn't be happier. Our bishop is an amazing man and his daughter has helped immensely by coming over in the wee hours of the morning on the Sundays we haven't been home so that our kids still make it church. Darryl's family was a huge help while I was at camp (which was so fantastic, I could write a blogpost about that all on it's own) and my parents and 2 amazing YW are holding down the fort while Darryl and I head to Youth Leadership Conference. We are so blessed.
I hope and pray that our kids can feel the joy that serving in the church can bring. I have seen the positive effect that these callings have brought into our home. My kids love the youth of our church and know them well. They look up to them and want to be like them. There is a good feeling in our home. Chloe being baptized has added to that feeling. She taught the most amazing impromptu FHE lesson on choices last night all on her own. Carter taught his Primary class a lesson on Nauvoo. We've talked about going on missions. We've gone to the temple as a family. Things aren't perfect by any means at all, but they are better. Life is good, and I am so grateful to serve.
No comments:
Post a Comment