Thursday, March 24, 2016

Myrtle Beach

On this icy morning, I thought I would take time to write about Myrtle Beach. I could sum up this whole trip with one word. Amazing. But there are some practical things I want to remember incase we make this trip a new march break tradition, which the kids (especially Carter) keep saying we should.

-first off, check the weather! We had perfect weather all week (24-27 degrees) but everyone told us this was not the norm for March. Maybe try going the last week of August when Americans are back at school?

-15 hours to get there if you don't stop. Stopping at the Homewood Suites in Gaithersburg is about 7 hours from the beach, was a little less than halfway. Really easy to get to the Washington Temple and all the DC sites from here, and much cheaper than staying right in DC. Try and catch a Wizards game next time we are there.

-We stayed at Captain's Quarters in an angled ocean view suite and paid $623 American for 7 nights and 8 days. Awesome view, room was nice, but next time ask how much the renovated suites are.

-Cookout is a cheap and delicious fast food, went there with Kara and Nestor Garcia, burgers, 2 sides and shake for 5 bucks a head

-Hook's Adventure Mini Putt is the best one

-Myrtle Beach Ward was AMAZING! and really easy to get to, super friendly! Be sure to go back

-Bowling at the hotel is free, shoe rental is $4

-drove down the strip, but really had no desire to go do anything but sit at the pool/beach, because it was SOOO beautiful out, which made this a super cheap vacay. The strip was like Niagara Falls meets old Las Vegas and super expensive.

-Bring more googles and sunscreen (and wear it because of course I burnt my lips and face AGAIN. I am going to look like an old shoe by the time I'm 40)

- We cooked all but 2 of our meals, and it saved us A LOT of money, and for the first vacation ever, I didn't gain any weight and felt great the entire time because we weren't over eating (tip, everyday when we left the suite I packed only healthy food, I knew we would be having too much fun to come all the way back up for chips or ice cream, but I knew we would be starving, so at the end of everyday when we came up for dinner, we were full of healthy food, then we have a good supper and a treat or two, but we weren't starving from eating empty carbs all day) Bought too much on groceries, but we were able to bring the rest home and eat on the road, which saved us money too.
-bacon and egg sandwiches
-grilled cheese
-chicken tacos
-lots of milk and cereal
-steak and asparagus
-salmon
-french toast
-lots of fruit and veggies
-salads and chicken

Super easy, inexpensive trip. Under $100 american in gas there and back, and if I would've skipped the late night Target runs, it would've been the cheapest trip we've done. Beautiful beach, beautiful vacation, definitely taking the kids back there sooner rather than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment