Monday, August 17, 2015

Girls' Camp










Oh my word, I don't even know how to express my thoughts properly for this next post here. I am so emotional just reflecting on it. I didn't think anything could top last year at camp, but this year was even better. We seriously had the most amazing 107 girls attend this year. The were most definitely the kindness, friendliest, obedient group of girls we have ever had. Their positive attitude and strong commitment to the gospel impressed me and motivated me throughout the entire week (I think I got 14 hours of sleep total between Monday and Friday, but I really didn't feel it until the car ride home) They truly were remarkable. I loved how kind they were to each other and how well they treated not only their friends, but girls they didn't know yet. They were respectful, l

Camp is always a lot of work, but always worth the spiritual reward for not just the girls, but myself. My testimony was strengthened. I filled my spiritual lamp with oil I so desperately needed. I had the chance this year to build amazing relationships with the women I was working with too, some who have been my friends for years, and others I just got to know this year. When you email, Facebook, text and talk a zillion times from February to July, you really get to know people's hearts, and let me tell you, these women were golden. Our stake YW president is unlike any other I know in that she puts just as much time and effort (if not more) into camp as her camp directors do. So many other camp directors I've talked to don't have that support, and I am so grateful for her. My assistant directors, craft specialist and leaders were unbelievable and super prepared which allowed things to go off without a hitch. My heart was so full of love for these women as I got to see all they prepared for our special girls.

The spirit truly guided and directed me as I prepared for camp this year. I prayed and pondered our theme and prayed over the list of my girls several times. I really wanted them to have a spiritual experience more than anything. I'm sure soon enough these girls will be lucky enough to have a camp director who loves to tie knots, hike and paddle all day and purify water, but that's just not me. And I've felt the spirit tell me that's OK when I doubt myself in this calling. I have felt over and over again that I am in this calling to help these girls do one thing and that's strengthen their relationship with their Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, as well as with each other as daughters of God. That is always in the forefront of my mind, and anything else that comes of this calling will just be bonus, and I felt that truly happened this year. We had so many opportunities to have fun and laugh and have a good time, but we also had many chances to feel the spirit.

We had a dance the first night. I always love this night of camp. It's silly, it's fun, it's high energy and it bonds the girls instantly for the week. We dance, we laugh a lot and it's awesome




Sorry I am not sure why this published before I wrote the second half! LOL The dance was great, the late night campfires and s'more cones were great, there were so many things this week that were my "favourite" especially the musical fireside. We had girls present songs (some of which they had written themselves) and it was just beautiful. Some played the flute, guitar and piano and we had a young woman speaker introduce each song. One of my favourites was a laurel from my own ward who talked about losing her mom to cancer and how the lyrics to this song described perfectly what she felt:

It feels like I've only got
A piece of the picture
I'm trying to figure out
Just where I fit here
But there is One who sees
All I'm meant to be
In a world of voices
That say they have the answer
I escape the noises
Close my eyes and I turn
To the One who sees
All the pieces put together
He knows me better

Sometimes I can't see past
What's on the surface
But He helps me understand
The depth of my purpose
He gives me faith to hold
As my path unfolds
In a world of voices
That say they have the answer
I escape the noises
Close my eyes and I turn
To the One who sees
All the pieces put together
He knows me better

He knows every one of us
Is learning as we go
His love is the compass
That guides us home
In a world of voices
That say they have the answer
I escape the noises
Close my eyes and I turn
To the One who sees
All the pieces put together
He knows me better

It was so beautiful. She talked about how she felt a strong impression from the Spirit to write a talk about her mother's death and how Heavenly Father helped her get through. I am so glad she followed that prompting because it help a lot if girls who were there, including a beautiful girl who's mother is battling leukaemia right now. It was beautiful setting in the amphitheatre with the sun going down and the fire blazing. It was wonderful.

Almost as wonderful as our testimony meeting. I'm not over exaggerating when I say it was one of the best nights of my life and I feel I need to record the feelings I had that night so I remember them, just like I encouraged the girls to do when I spoke to them. I know how easily these strong impressions can fade from the memory and how easily they can be forgotten when we step back into the world. I reminded them as real as their Saviour is, the Adversary is just as real and hoping they fail. I felt the Spirit confirm to me that this gospel is true and that I need to be more diligent in teaching it to my beehive girls and especially my own children. The Spirit was so strong that night, and the beautiful image of their lanterns flickering on the beach, the sun going down and the waves from the lake is burned into my memory for ever. I am so glad Becky snapped a picture of this perfection when it was all over:


The girls shared such beautiful, personal and appropriate testimonies. These girls were truly amazing, I can't say that enough. They almost all shared how nice it was to be somewhere for a whole week where they felt, loved, excepted and included. They talked about how easy it was to feel the Spirit in such a beautiful setting. They talked about how tough school can be and how their time at camp was time to recharge and renew their faith. Our stake president joined us and gave the girls wonderful council about being strong women and encouraged them to honour their virtue and get as much education as possible. We were all overcome with emotion when it was all over, and we truly all felt like we were sisters. It was truly perfect.

How did I get so lucky to have this calling? I seriously cannot wait for next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment