Sunday, May 10, 2015

Desert Life




Darryl and I we so lucky and so grateful to have the chance to go on a holiday at the beginning of April. Since we have the best parents in the entire world, (seriously, so grateful for our families, without our parents and siblings tag teaming each other this week so our kids got to school and Sparks and church and birthday parties and the dog got walked and fed, etc. we never would've been able to pull off this dream) we booked a trip out west back in January before we even asked them to baby-sitt for us. We knew they would willingly agree because they are great like that. Note to self when I'm older: When you have grandchildren, baby-sitt them and your kids will you love you for it. And their marriage will be stronger and happier, which will make their kids happier. Everybody wins.


We had so much fun doing our east coast temple tour back in August, we decided to do a west coast version of the trip this time with some people we really love a whole lot. And it was so fantastic and beautiful and spiritual, I don't exactly know how to type it up in words the amazing warm feeling in my heart for a blog entry. I wish I could just upload a picture of my heart and show everything I was feeling when I think about this trip, but since that's not possible, I will try my best here to put it into words.

Friday night we flew into Vegas. The flight was not the greatest, Darry; and I didn't get seats together and we were delayed which made for a long 5 hours on the plane, but we made it. As soon as I we stepped inside the terminal, I was flooded with all the good memories of our trip there for our 10 year anniversary.  I love the smell of whatever it is that they pump through the casinos and hotels. Everything just smells delicious. I love the bright lights and huge bilboards and palm trees and endless hotels. Kyle and Brit picked us up and we headed for the strip. I love driving down the strip at night, it's so exhilarating. Their apartment was so nice and clean and modren and beautiful, just like them. It's perfect. After some Cane's chicken to go, we hit the road for San Diego. Kyle and Brit are such great tour guides, showing us things along the way they've seen and done a million times, but with excitement and enthusiasm for us to see it for the first time. We really didn't have to think much on this trip, it was all laid out for us. If we mentioned something we wanted to see, they took us there, if mentioned we felt like eating something (and oh my word, did we ever eat!) they knew where the best places to get it were. They were the best.

As we drove into San Diego, the sun was rising and it was so beautiful. I didn't know how much I loved the Pacific ocean until this trip. Seriously breathtaking. Our first stop was Mount Soledad to get a   view of the city then onto La Jolla cove to see the seals. When Kyle mentioned we go to La Jolla to see seals, I had no clue how up close and personal we would be with them, it was amazing to watch them all pile on top of each other, then make their way down to the beach. I was amazed how fast the surfers could run on the rocks in their bare feet down to the ocean. The atmosphere in San Diego was so relaxed and beautiful. Everyone looked so natural, nobody seemed to be rushing, everything was green and lush and floral and beautiful. I loved it. We went to the Donut Bar afterward and waited in line for over an hour for the most delicious donuts. Creme Brûlée, Boston Cream, Nutella, Homer Simpson, and birthday cake are just a few flavours we enjoyed. A lady was also having her 103rd birthday in the store and watching her walk up a flight of stairs no problem and enjoying her donuts was inspiring. On the way, out I offered a homeless man a donut. He quickly said no and then apologized over and over again for not wanting the donut, and told me he would rather me enjoy it. He was filthy, but he had the most beautiful blue eyes. I couldn't stop thinking about what brought him to that point in his life. I will never get used to seeing homeless people. It hurts me, and I feel helpless.

We headed to the San Diego temple to do some sealings. It was really cool when we arrived because there was a Canadian family from Saskatchewan waiting to do sealings but they needed more patrons and we were there just in time. The sealer said we were an answer to his prayer. He was such an adorable old man. He made the whole hour so personal and pleasant for all of us. The other Canadians there knew Elaine and Michelle Fowler, who I lived with in Edmonton, and the also knew the Farmers from our ward in Orangeville, such a small world. That temple was something special. The atrium, the 50 foot Celestial room ceilings, the gold staircase, it was a beautiful night. We had a delicious meal at Outback before heading back to the Hecor hotel, which was really cool, I wish we would've taken a picture of it. It was compact and modern and had this amazing glass shower. We were exhausted from the time change and had a really good sleep. Bright and early we made our way to a beautiful spot, Torrey Pines. It was the most picturesque spot we visited in California. Took my breath away as soon as we arrived. I don't know if it was because it was the Sabbath or not, but it was a spiritual experience for me as I sat on the edge of those rocks, contemplating how spectacular it is that we live in this world that was created for us by a Father who loves us. There is so much beauty to be enjoyed.

Then we made our way to Newport Beach to check out the temple there. It was stunning and pink and beautiful. The gardens were my favourite of all the 6 temples we visited. The chapel next door to the temple was the fanciest one I had ever seen. The outside was not only beautiful, but the inside was like an art gallery, with dozens and dozens of paintings on every wall. Even their Sunday program was on fancy, colourful, shiny paper. We joked the church was a little "truer" in Newport Beach. Then we made our way to the Los Angelas Temple, which was gigantic. I had no idea it was so big! The gardens and pools there were beautiful too, and the Visitors' Center had all these different interactive stations (a lot like the DC visitors center) that you could visit. We sat on a couch and watched about 25 "I am a Mormon" videos and cried a little. Brittany joked we should do this every Sunday. It was great.

Then we headed to the Laker game, stopping at Tom's Urban for dinner on the way. The Staples center left a lot to be desired. So glad we had an opportunity to go, and I wouldn't have traded it. It's such a historic place, but our beloved ACC is way nicer. It's bright and always full of excited fans. Lakers have lost over 50 games this year, so that may have contributed to the glum atmosphere. Also, a mom sitting infront of us had a little boy who needed to pee really bad, so she let him pee in an empty plastic cup and kept it in the cup holder directly infront of me, so we got to smell that the entire game. But given the opportunity, I'd go again. Being in the same arena as Dirk Nowitzki and Kobe Bryant was worth the urine smell. After the Lakers lost, we headed to Pie Hole. Brittany had a whole list of these small food joints that had amazing reviews. Everywhere we went to eat, I'd feel I little anxious because go into some sketchy neighbourhood that looked like nothing, and then BAM, you would see a huge line up of people, raving about the deliciousness. She was right on every time. I will have dreams about that Almond Joy pie for the rest of my life.

Monday morning we were up and at so we could go to Coronado Island, aka paradise. That place was so gorgeous. I thought of my mom a lot there, the water, the colours, the feel, it was so my mom. I loved the ocean, the food, so lovely. I could've stayed there for days. After ice cream and tacos we went to the Mormon Battalion site in San Diego and it was really cool to see the history there. Then it was a mad dash to the airport to catch our flight to Phoenix.

And our next 6 days in Phoenix were truly relaxing. We met up with Kara and Matt and Matt's brother and his wife Mandi. The rest is a relaxing, spiritual, content, happy blur. The house we stayed in was spectacular, the hot tub, pool, basketball court, it was seriously the nicest place we have ever stayed and the company was even better. I have loved being Kara's friend for the last 12 years, but now that she is a mom, our bond is even more awesome. Is there anything better than being a mother?! Speaking of which, we both missed our babies terribly on the Thursday and we were wishing we had brought them with us. But then we would nap by the pool and forget a little. Then we would sleep till 10 and forget about them again. But they would've loved it.

And the temples in the desert were so beautiful. Mesa was huge and colourful, with pinks, aquas and golds (it made me want to throw a party in those colours) with beautiful staircases and scriptures on the wall, my favourite being "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God" The feeling of peace I had there in the celestial room was amazing. First time doing a session with Kara too, which was great.

But the Gilbert was my favourite. Darryl was like, "this is a Heather Regimbal temple" because he said it looked like I picked everything. The mouldings, the wallpaper, the colours, the light fixtures, even the smell felt like it was all personally catered to my liking. It was just amazing. It don't know if it was all those elements that made it easy for me to feel the spirit, or if it was the amazing sealer who we had doing the sealings. He joked about how Darryl had no choice but to take me out for ice cream after because it Friday night. He doubled checked his names multiple times so that these spirits wouldn't "bother" him when he went to bed. We had the chance to seal many, many sons to their respective mothers and fathers. It was beautiful. Then we sat in the Celestial Room and checked out the baptistry. There was a theme all through out the temple. The agave plant is pictured everywhere, symbolizing love and layers of family and generations. It was perfect.

I LOOOOOOOOVE the desert! Arizona was like all the things I love about Utah, Vegas and California all combined in one state. The cacti, the Mormons, the shopping, the temperature. Dare I say it's my favourite state? So much beauty, a type I had never seen in real life. It was just a surreal feeling to wake up everyday whenever you want, choose where you want to eat,what bathing suit to wear and what temple you want to go to. It was a perfect vacation. Relaxing, eating, (I gained 11 pounds, no joke) sleeping and laughing till your cheeks hurt.

It was something I will never forget.



Just a recap, these are the amazing things we ate on this trip that I am still dreaming about:
Cane's chicken strips in Vegas
Cold Stone Creamery Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
Donuts from the world famous Donut Bar in San Diego
Green Smoothies at Robecks in San Diego
Arugula and goat cheese salad with walnuts from Tom's Urban in LA
Pork Tacos/Steak Sandwich at Carnita's Snack Shack in San Diego (seriously unbelievable, so good!)
Strawberry Limeade and Soft Ice cream from Sonic
Bloomin' Onion at Outback in San Diego
Honey Walnut Shrimp and Orange Chicken from Panda Express in LA
Toasted Coconut Ice Cream from the Moo Time creamery on Coronado Island
Almond Joy Pie (my fave, no crust, just coconut, chocolate, almond cream, delish!) at Pie Hole in LA
Cafe Rio Salads and Coconut Shrimp Tacos in Gilbert, hadn't had this is soooo long, it was so good!
Tuxedo Cake, Chocolate Coconut Cream pie, Chicken salad croissants, Pineapple pop, baked brie, steak salad, grilled asparagus and pina colodas in Gold Canyon
Cherry Cheesecake at The Cheesecake Factory in Mesa

Temples we visited:
San Diego, CA
Newport Beach, CA
Los Angelas, CA
Mesa, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Phoenix, AZ



1 comment:

  1. I love your blog!! I read every word! You are just my favourite! I can't believe someone let their kid pee in a cup and didn't dispose of it? Holy moly, you are a trooper for not saying anything!! Blog more! love it!

    ReplyDelete