Tuesday, October 15, 2013
Oct 2013 Conference
Man, my heart and my mind is always so full after conference, and this past weekend was no exception. How grateful am I to have an opportunity every six months to hear the words of our Prophet and his apostles. How lucky are we?? It fills me, recharges me, invigorates me and makes me want to do better. Even though it was a busy start to the weekend with a basketball game and family photos, it ended really beautifully.
A lot of prep went into this conference spiritually, as well as physically. We have been talking to the YW a lot about making the most of conference, preparing questions and praying to receive answers through the Lord's servants as they speak to us. Darryl and I tried to prepare the kids by helping them understand the importance of the two days we were setting aside to be taught modern day revelation. But the shopping, cooking, careful planning of activities and meals, the late night runs to the dollar store and Staples took a lot of time, but were so worth it in the end. It's a lot to ask to have them sit and listen to all four sessions. It takes work. And don't get the wrong idea, it was not smooth sailing for 8 hours by any means. There were times of reverence, as well as whining and fighting and yelling. But for the most part it was so good. Their hearts are so tender, so ready to learn and soak it in, even though lots of topics are way over their heads, the little snippets of teaching they get are awesome.
Saturday afternoon, after the close of the second session, Chlo came up and hugged me and told me she felt the Spirit two times and it made her happy. My heart could burst when she says things like that. I have always felt this inner urgency to teach my children the gospel, since they were babies. I feel like obviously it is my responsibility to do so as their mother, but it's almost more than that. It's almost a premonition I have that they really need to have a good grasp on gospel principles from a very young age.
I myself had a list of questions that I had made alongside my Beehives that I not only wanted, but NEEDED answers to myself. How to let things go, how to not be so hard on myself and carry so much guilt around all the time, how to be a better mother and wife, how to better serve the girls I work with in Young Women. So much on that little list. And it was all answered. Not from my usual favourite apostles like I assumed it would be, I had to listen carefully for what I was looking for and I found it, which I am so grateful for. How can 15, 000, 000, 000 all be spoken to individually? Through the Holy Ghost. And I love that. Like Elder Hales said in his talk, what is said is not as important as what you hear and feel.
Here are some of my answers.
One of my favourite talks was Linda Reeves talk at the General Relief Society Meeting. She talked about how we can be cleansed of sin every week when we take the sacrament, and not only that, but our burdens can be made light. I came home and talked to Darryl about how excited I was to take the sacrament the next morning and get to start a new week fresh, without old burdens weighing me down. She also talked about going to the temple to claim our blessings there. I love the thought of Heavenly Father having blessings laid out for me, ready and waiting that I just need to go and "pick up" at the temple. She also reminded us that nothing that happens to us shocks or surprises the Lord. I find a lot of comfort in knowing HE is all knowing.
President Uchtdorf's talk was fantastic. We need to put our faith into practice and look at assignments as opportunities, not burdens. Something I really needed to hear. Being in YW and Darryl recently being called as Elder's Quorum President takes up a lot of time. Usually about 3 evenings a week for meetings, activities, etc. plus Sundays. Finding balance can be hard. It's something Darryl and I discuss often. But honestly, when you put the Lord first, it all works out. We both love our callings and feel like when we serve others, things go much smoother within these four walls. Went along well with Henry B. Eyring's talk that I also loved. There is one plan of happiness. Magnifying our calling is key to the Lord's plan and having family happiness.
I loved what he had to say about faith too. What we don't understand now will be made clear to us to us and resolved fully. God is perfect. The doctrine is perfect and we are his imperfect children. Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith. There is room for you here. Come join us.
"Don't allow culture to diminish the relationship between women and children" - Quentin L. Cook
"A woman's moral influence is felt most in the home. Bring your children up in light and truth"- D. Todd Christofferson
"Patiently enduring small things is part of our mortal training"- Jeffery R. Holland. His whole talk was fantastic.
"A grateful person is rich in contentment"- David A. Bednar
"Raise your children in a gospel centered home. Children who have an early understanding of the scriptures are more likely to stay on the path"- Boyd K. Packer
But my very favourite talk that touched me deeply was Elder Richard G. Scott. I loved his words of wisdom. Those things I "heard" and "felt" helped me a lot. His message was the answer to the most burning question I had prior to conference.
"Satan will try to use our memory of any previous guilt to lure us back into his influence. We must be ever vigilant to avoid his enticements. Such was the case of the faithful Ammonite fathers. Even after their years of faithful living, it was imperative for them to protect themselves spiritually from any attraction to the memory of past sins."
The joyful news for anyone who desires to be rid of the consequences of past poor choices is that the Lord sees weaknesses differently than He does rebellion. Whereas the Lord warns that unrepented rebellion will bring punishment,16 when the Lord speaks of weaknesses, it is always with mercy.17
I really do live with more guilt than is healthy. I can be very hard on myself and get caught up in my "weaknesses" far too often. Satan cleverly exploits those feeling of guilt I have and can weigh me down. It was so comforting to hear and be reminded that the Lord sees my weaknesses differently than rebellion. My feelings of failure are not the same as rebelling against God. I felt a new desire to exercise the atonement in my life and leave my burdens at the Savior's feet.
The number of full time missionaries jumping from 58,990 to 80, 333 blew my mind. What an exciting time to be a member of this church!
We learned a lot. And we also have a lot of fun. I love traditions. And after doing some of our conference traditions for 5 years now, they start to be expected and anticipated and I love that. I love that conference is something they look forward to. They told their bus helpers all about it, which lead to a discussion with them that was great. They are young, but they are mighty. And I am so lucky they are mine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















You're a rockstar! and your kids are so precious... I love all the fun things you do for them!
ReplyDelete