Sister Beck gave a talk 3 years ago when I was very much "in the trenches" of motherhood with an almost 3 year old, an almost 2 year old, and 6 months pregnant. I often felt things were too hard, too overwhelming. I felt unappreciated by the three little monkeys who were draining me. I was working part time to get the hours I needed to take another mat leave, my calling in Relief Society was demanding, I felt like I did more in a day than most did, and I felt not many noticed how hard and long my 18 hour (at least) days were.
Her words brought me so much comfort. It was a beautiful talk, and my favourite part was when she quoted Sister Snow:
Women should be women and not babies that need petting and correction all the time. I know we like to be appreciated but if we do not get all the appreciation which we think is our due, what matters?
We know the Lord laid high responsibility upon us, and there is not a wish or desire that the Lord has implanted in our hearts in righteousness but will be realized, and the greatest good we can do to ourselves and each other is to refine and cultivate ourselves in everything that is good and ennobling to qualify us for those responsibilities.”
It was the exact message I needed, and a message we all need from time to time.
A little bit of "suck it up".
We as women like to be appreciated. Who doesn't? We want to be validated for our efforts. Mostly because we are constantly trying to better ourselves, make the world better, make our children better, improve our home, our calling, our neighbour's situation, a friend's problem, the list is endless. And sometimes, just sometimes, when you are working that hard all the time, it's nice to be appreciated.
But I think if we are honest with ourselves, as women we crave it a little too much. Sometimes we may even do certain things being motivated by the praise we will receive afterwards. And motherhood is definitely one of the callings was take on where we are not appreciated, so we are constantly looking for ways to remind us what we are doing is important, and holy, and divine. And all though, all of those things are true, as long as we know that's true, and the Lord knows that's true, what matters??
I love Sister Snow's words. Women should be women. We aren't babies. We KNOW the Lord has laid high responsibility upon us. He obviously knows we are capable to do what he has asked us, and that doesn't by any means make it easy, but we can do it, recognition or not.
I need reminded of this often.
Just what I needed to hear. My husband has been a bit frustrated lately that I always seem to be complaining, " toddlers are just so hard! I'm tired!" So yes, it's nice to be reminded that I am indeed capable of handling them and I don't necessarily need a pat on the back for doing so. Thanks again for being the "future me" and helping me remember my own abilities ;). Love ya, Heath!
ReplyDeleteGreat words. I sometimes feel like I battle with my husband about whose day was harder. Work is work, and it wouldn't be work if it wasn't hard. And we wouldn't become stronger if it wasn't hard.
ReplyDelete