After a date with Darryl (like I need to specify that, no I'm not seeing other people) we went into Zehrs late one night to get a few things. As I waited in line at the bank machine, I watched an elderly man grow frustrated and sad as he examined the ATM. He was convinced her had sixty dollars in his account, but it was only reading sixty cents. He needed that money to pay for his groceries that he had waiting for him at the till. Having grown up in a family where money was scarce at times, and knowing what it feels like to be in that position, I felt for this man. I had been in his shoes before. I slipped over to the till and paid for his groceries and quickly left before he could see me.
It was really fun for Darryl and I to hide behind a rack of clothes and watch this man's reaction. It felt great. We went about our shopping, and we were pretty much the only ones left in the store that late at night. Just as we were going to check out, the assistant manager came up to us and thanked us. He said the cashier had called up to the office to tell him what we had done. He said he rarely saw things like that these days and gave us a gift card to put towards our purchases. We tried to refuse and said it was no trouble, but he was insistent.
In this situation someone was watching and we were instantly rewarded, which was not our intention at all. But it made me think of a loving Father in heaven looking over his children, hoping that they will all try their best to help each other out when they can. Then it made me also think of opportunities that were possibly presented to me that I have missed because I was too busy, or not in tune with the Spirit. I hope I haven't missed too many.
How sweet. You are such a great example. Thanks for sharing, that made my night.
ReplyDelete