Friday, August 17, 2012

I want to be a mother

When we were in Vegas, we went to a Deseret Book store (drool) and I stocked up on some new church music for me and the kids. Today (during one of the rare moments of peace we had) I put the kids new cd on. And as one of the songs played, Claire and Carter were looking at each other with so much love and adoration for just a few seconds. It made me melt for 10 seconds of this otherwise chaotic day. The words to this song intensified the lump in my throat:

When I grow up I want to be a mother
And have a family
One little, two little, three little babies of my own
Of all the jobs, for me I'll choose no other
We'll have a family
Four little, five little, six little babies in my home
And I will love them all day long
And give them cookies and milk and yellow balloons
And cuddle them when things go wrong
And read them stories and sing them pretty tunes
When I grow up if I can be a mother
How happy I will be
One little, two little, three little babies I can love
And you will see each sister and each brother
Who look a lot like me
Four little, five little, six little blessings from above."

It was an old Primary song written in 1975 that I had never heard before. As I listened to the words, because of the sweet moment occurring between  Carter and Claire, it just filled my heart. I googled the title to find the lyrics to the song, and I was presented with post after post of women who felt the song was brainwashing their children, etc. etc.

And honestly, in my head, my inner feminist (after that tender moment was gone) wandered in that direction for a second or two as the song replayed a few times. 6 babies? Come on.

But then I thought about that Carter and Claire and that moment the carpet, them staring at each other smiling so big their cheeks could bust, Chloé sitting beside us, happily looking through a book of last summer's pictures. Is there anything better then sweet moments with your babies? Is there any mother out there who would say she would give up being a mother completely to do something better? Is there any child who doesn't want to feel that they are the most important thing in the world? It doesn't say that women will never do anything other than hand out balloons and cookies, I think it just reminds me of what my most important role is. And it's my new favourite song right now, even if it is super cheesy.


3 comments:

  1. I googled to listen to this song and found www.mormontracks.com I don't remember hearing this song as a kid, but we did have a tape with some of the other songs on it, like "I am learning how to spell" and "Did you say your prayers last night?" and "Won't somebody come and play." What a walk down memory lane! I just wish I knew what album it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and "My Dad" - play it for Darryl, it's so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this record as a kid and really enjoyed listening to this song. So glad you like it. The songs your friend Terri-Ann mentioned were on the record too.

    ReplyDelete