Heavenly Father must of known I was a record keeper and how much I treasure notes and pictures that jog my poor memory.
Darryl an I fell truly, crazy, head over heels in love while he was in the second year of his mission. Not ideal timing, distracting at times, and not something I recommend to others, but that's how it happened for us, and I am so glad it did because it was all in writing. My memory is so bad, I'm sure I would've forgotten a lot of those defining relationship type conversations, but I am so lucky to have them on paper.
We have a huge binders with over a hundred letters we wrote back and forth while Darryl was on his mission in France and while I was in college in Alberta, and that binder is one of my greatest treasures. I am so lucky to have that. We laughed our heads off tonight going through it, especially the "rap" Darryl wrote for me when he 17. Even before we were dating I have journal entries and little notes. That is something I am afraid will be lost in this new generation of blogging and texting.
I am lucky enough to have a note from Darryl on the first day I met him. He wrote in my journal on a ward canoe trip on July 16, 1996. He says he remembers meeting me at a primary activity in 1992, but I don't recall since I was only 9 :)
The day after our first real date, on September 10, 2000, I remember it was stake conference and he passed me a letter. It was super cheesy/sweet, and I was sure if I was interested in getting that serious. I kind of joked in the hall with one of my friends about how much he was in love with me. She thought I was so lucky because he was so nice and sweet.I am so glad that I kept that sweet, cheesy letter that made me giggle so many years ago. It means so much to me now. There is something so special about real feeling on real paper and real ink.
That is so sweet Heather! You are lucky to have them! I wish I had all the notes Michael and I wrote back and forth in grade 6...hahah...There were a lot of them! I thought I would never see him again so I threw them out...Funny how things happen! Oh, and I miss you by the way! xo
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I don't have any notes that Ken wrote to me when he was 17... cause I would have been 23 and that would have been ikcy. (I do love letters though and you are right that in our age they are few and far between.)
ReplyDelete