I love a party. I enjoy having a full house. And since I don't do much entertaining while I'm pregnant, as soon as that baby pops out and my energy is back, I feel like I want to make up for lost time. In Claire's short 21 weeks of life, she has been on my hip, along for the ride during one of the busiest seasons of my life, and she has been such a trooper. During her blessing, Carter's birthday, Halloween, 2 huge Christmas parties, Valentine's party, baby shower, Relief Society Social...etc. She has been such a joy, and so patient with me as I've arranged flowers, cursed at my turkey, set tables in the wee hours. She seems to enjoy being part of the action, just like her sister. And Carter, well, Carter is a boy. He's content to lick the beaters.
As I feel like we've been busy, having 3 also slowed down our day to day life a lot. The 4 of us watch a movie in my bed while I nurse just about every afternoon. Miss Claire has found her way back into our bed every night and I don't really mind. My mom came to help out when Claire had to go to the hospital with the stomach flu last month, and she reminded me to slow down, to enjoy and to play.
Something I am really enjoying is having morning devotional every day and we finally have figured out a good system for this.
I printed out a bunch of 5x7 cards with the "Bright Idea" from the Friend. I keep the card in a pretty box, and while they eat their cereal, they get to pick a card and we talk about the scripture or quote on the card, then we put it on the fridge for the rest of the day. It really works well for us and it's the first thing I've found that we do every day cause it works and it's easy. And they are learning.
I need to be that annoying mom and brag about my kids for a quick moment. We had the missionaries over, and they held up a picture of the brother of Jared, and immediately Chlo knew the story and ran upstairs to get her scripture case that had a picture album in it. While she was flipping through the album trying to find the same picture, Carter would point...Moroni! Enos! And he was right every time. It made Darryl and I so proud. It was like wow, these crazy kids really are listening in the morning when we talk!
If you run out of cards, the Gospel Art Kit is also perfect for morning devotional. The kids pick out a picture, and the story (long and short version) and the scripture are right on the back. Makes it so easy.
ReplyDeleteTerri-Ann, that was what I wanted t0 do in the first place and you can't buy an old school GAK in the blue box anymore :( I do have the spiral bound book with the pics though:)
ReplyDeleteHeather, I LOVE this idea. I think I might just be copying it!
ReplyDelete