Sunday, March 18, 2012

My Family







I come from a musical family. I often fell asleep to the sound of my dad on the guitar and my mum singing or playing the piano. When they weren't creating their own beautiful music, they were always playing it. My dad blared records in the garage all day, every Saturday, and many late nights when my sister and I shared a room in the basement, we could hear my mum dancing to Elton John with her head phones full blast. Every night we lined up behind my Dad and did a conga line line up the stairs while my he did the "Tequilla" dance. My mum sang me the same 3 songs every night for a good 12 years, I am Child of God, Whenever I Hear the Song of a Bird and Lavender Blue. In that order. Yes, music was a huge part of our lives.

I am so grateful for those (and the other million) musical experience my parents provided for us. They used to perform pretty regularly, I even joined them once or twice, but they hadn't done a show in a while. That's why I was so thrilled when they performed with my uncle (a fabulously talented 2 time Juno-nominated musician)in Toronto, and all of my siblings (who are over 19 :) were able to attend! They did so well, even my poor mum who got a glass of red wine poured on her accidently by a stranger....

Live music is so good for my soul.....it makes me feel alive, it was so good. We hung out at my brother's place after and had a great time, it was so nice, Emily's sisters watched the babies, so it was our first real night out. Success!

2 comments:

  1. Heather... I can totally see your family doing the conga line! I love your family so much and miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was Jessie Goeders by the way... hahah

    ReplyDelete