"It is no small thing that those so fresh from God love us" -Charles Dickens
I love these first few days with a newborn, before things get crazy, the meals stop coming and the help goes back to work. I get to do nothing but lay here with this sweet new baby, studying her face, cuddling, kissing, nursing, watching her yawn, stretch, sleep, poop, I love it all. Spending most of these past few days lying in bed with her and staring at the beautiful autumn view outside my bedroom window have been pure bliss. Since my milk has come in, she has been sleeping really well. I woke up this morning and she was holding my finger under the blankets, it was so sweet. I have felt so much peace and contentment this week, letting the house, mess, and world swirl around me, and I couldn't care less, which usually isn't the norm for me after having a baby. Darryl took Chlo to her first ballet class, which I wish I could've done myself, but after going out to get diapers yesterday, I really felt like I needed to sit down, even after such a small outing. Darryl said parents weren't even allowed to watch, so I didn't miss much, and I'm sure I'll take get to her to the next 8 sessions. Surgery really makes you slow down and relax. I'm not in pain, just slower, and it's kinda nice. SO grateful to have so much family and especially Darryl to help with the kids and letting me enjoy this, as well as good friends, that I knew would be there for me at this busy time. On the days our moms have helped out with the kids, Darryl and I had a lot of good time together too, catching up on conference, watching our favourite shows, eating good food, and enjoying ourselves. You can justify pretty much anything (or any food at anytime) to yourself after you have a baby. We did all the baby paperwork/mat leave boring stuff too, which felt good to get out of the way.
Everything isn't rosy all the time mind you, there has been some tears (from all of us except Darryl lol) and when I am laying in bed listening to the morning chaos, I get anxious thinking about how in the world I am going to do everything on my own next week, but overall I really have been feeling so lucky and happy and content. What a miracle it is that Heavenly Father trusts us with his most precious gifts. How amazing is it that I can hold a baby in my arms who has just left the presence of God? Truly, being a mother is the greatest blessing.
On your own next week! IF you need anything call! Who's organizing your meals?
ReplyDeleteThanks Wendy, things are good so far, but it's only 10am and Sarah took Chlo to preschool for me :) I think it's Diane and Pat arranging things for me, I'm covered for today and tomorrow for meals. Thanks for asking!
ReplyDelete