Thursday, September 30, 2010

Can't Wait......


I remember when I was little I thought General Conference was the perfect reason to take a Sunday off. It was hard for me to stay awake in the dark chapel, I found it boring, I thought all the speakers sounded and looked the same. Then all that changed. I was about 14 years old when I went to a Saturday afternoon session with a good friend and her family. President Hinckley spoke last and then we sang God be with you till we meet again. I felt the Spirit so strongly, and I found myself sad that the 2 hour session was over, and I was actually excited to come back the next morning and feel that way again.

I love conference. I can't wait to sit and be spiritually fed. Our babies will nap and we can soak it all in. Conference is a big event at our house. We hook the internet stream up to the big screen and we really don't go much of any where for the whole weekend. It is so relaxing and enjoyable. But the few days before are not as relaxing...

I like to get the house nice and clean and most of the cooking done and shopped for so I'm not distracted with household stuff. The menu is a big part of conference weekend, we usually end up with some family stopping by, and I like to have plenty to eat. I like to find notebooks and pens for us, activities for the kids (http://scriptures4kids.com) and this year we plan to build a tent and watch the Saturday afternoon session in there with the kids (kind of the the first General Conference when King Benjamin spoke and the people faced their tents towards him)


On the Menu...
French Toast and fruit
Conference Popcorn (from this month's Friend)
Cabbage Rolls
Apple Rhubarb Crisp with vanilla pudding
Cinnamon Buns with Cream Cheese icing
Breakfast Sandwiches with peameal bacon
Chili on Baked potatoes
Gingersnaps

2 comments:

  1. Heather, I was just going through my blogger reading list and found this link.

    http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/2010/09/general-conference-packets.html

    I don't know anything about this, so I don't know if it is the same thing, but thought you should check it out. I read you were talking about the general conference and so was this blog.

    sorry if it has nothing to do with you!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love conference weekend too, I`ve got say though that I`ve never had a conference weekend menu though... I might need to drop in at your house too!

    ReplyDelete