
"It is wonderful to feel the grandness of Canada in the raw, not just because she is Canada but because she's something sublime that you were born into, some great rugged power that you are a part of." - Emily Carr
As I sit here at the end of an amazing 17 days of Olympic competition, I am overwhelmed with a feeling of pride I have never had. I have always been proud to be Canadian. I love this country and everything it stands for. But I have never had this feeling of patriotism before. My mom was born in Scotland, and that feeling of pride I have when I watch Braveheart was felt 20 times over these past 2 weeks, and I'm sad to say this is a first for me and my country. How lucky we are. How beautiful it is here. I have taken it for granted for so long. And so I quote Emily Carr in this post (a great great great aunt of mine) and post a picture of Lake Moraine (my favourite Canadian spot I've visited) with so much pride my heart is bursting. And I must say it's so bizarre that a curling match and a hockey puck helped bring on these feelings.
Ruler supreme, who hearest humble prayer,
Hold our dominion within thy loving care;
Help us to find, O God, in thee
A lasting, rich reward,
As waiting for the Better Day,
We ever stand on guard.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee
Emily Carr is your relative? How cool is that! Do you love to visit the McMichael and feel a sort of distant connection to her? I love the photo you posted. I haven't seen much out west beyond Vancouver itself, and a few quick trips around the local mountains. Your photo leaves me breathless, and with a reminder of the beauty of our own country, found in the natural terrain and not in the history of man made buildings. Europe has nothing on us!
ReplyDelete