Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Uncle Jay


My uncle happens to be an amazing musician and played to a sold out audience this weekend here in Orangeville. He is a Scottish/Canadian who does mostly reggae with a lot of jazz influence. Quite the mix, eh? But it's awesome.I have missed his last few shows do to nursing babies, but my family was there on Saturday and had a good time. He is leaving for Scotland this week to go on tour. Check him out www.jasonwilsonmusic.com

Since this is more of a journal type blog for myself, I should definitely post about how much I love my uncle. He is one of my favourite people. He is my mum's younger brother, and since he was only 11 when I was born we were close buddies. He always tells me the story about how he was in his science class and they announced over the PA that I had been born and he was now an uncle. He got a children's book printed for me on my 6th birthday about me and my favourite toy dog, Sandy. He always helped me when it came to music and school. One year I asked him to come to my OAC music class and play some Rachmaninoff (a composer we had been studying) pieces on the piano. When he found out he was going to be on tour at the time, he made me an awesome video with him playing and pictures of the composer. Thanks to him I got an A on my final exam. We always thought it was so cool he was in a band when we were little. When it was our birthdays, he'd do crazy arrangements of "Happy Birthday" on the organ, or bust out is accordion. He played alongside other Canadian musicians that went on to become pretty popular when we were younger, so our friends always thought it was cool I had a birthday card from Alanis Morrisette or a signed picture of Amanda Marshall. Because of him some of my first words were "Bob Marley" He is someone I am really proud of. Not only is a talented, juno-nominated musician, he is an accomplished writer, (wining the Governor General's Literary award, he got to meet her too) He also won The Karl Mullings Memorial Award for commitment to reggae in Canada and won a national Doctoral Fellowship for his PhD study in Canadian History at the University of Guelph. He is basically awesome and I love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment