Tuesday, December 27, 2016

The City of Brotherly Love


































We had such an amazing experience last summer taking the kids to the dedication of the Indianapolis, Indiana temple, we knew when the Philadelphia Temple was being dedicated, we had to take the kids again to a temple open house. They were so excited when we told them that we would be spending Labour Day weekend in Philly, and they we so good in the car on the way there. We really have made road trippers out of them and they get better with every trip. They always surprise us:)

The city of Philadelphia is really amazing. Taking the kids to LOVE park and letting them run around was so awesome, that was a real highlight for me, just watching them run, play and laugh. The cheesesteaks were amazingly greasy and good at Sonny's, the weather was perfect and the bond between the five of us was strengthened, which is the only reason we do these crazy road trips. 

When we went to the temple open house, we all sat on the couch together in the celestial room (my favourite part, how many times in my life will them happen?) Chloe leaned over to me and whispered that at that moment she felt the exact same way as she did when she got baptized. I'm so glad when our kids have a chance to recognize what they are feeling is the Spirit.

President Eyring broke ground for the Philadelphia Pennsylvania Temple on September 17, 2011. The date marked Constitution Day—an observance that recognizes the day in 1787 that delegates to the Constitutional Convention signed the United States Constitution. Now—just over 240 years after members of the Second Continental Congress assembled in the city to sign and adopt the Declaration of Independence—President Eyring dedicated the Philadelphia Temple. A temple “is a place of connection in history,” he said. “You participate in ordinances and make covenants, and you are allowed to reach back to your ancestors and you make covenants that will bless your descendants.” When President Eyring thinks of the temple, he can’t help but recall the feelings he had as a child. He remembers the trip in the back seat of his family’s ’37 Ford from Philadelphia to his home in Princeton after becoming a newly baptized member. Even at age eight, he understood the weight of the baptismal covenant he had just made. And President Eyring remembers with clarity the years before and after his baptism as he gathered with his family and a handful of others for Church services in the dining room of his family home.“It doesn’t take a building; I felt the Holy Ghost in that dining room as much as if in the finest chapel. It was the people. If they have faith, the Holy Ghost comes.“

One hiccup, but when we finished at the temple, we ran into McDonalds for a quick bite. Darryl had parked so far away, so I asked him to go get the car, as we were waiting though, I had to call 911 because I saw a man attack a woman screaming at her "Don't you know who I am? I'm a celebrity! She asked me to help her, but I had the three kids with me, so I ran back into McDonalds and called the police. It was really scary, but Chloe lightened the mood. "Mom, I don't think he's really a celebrity! He doesn't even have sunglasses or boots on"

Church was awesome, and as we started the drive home, we  decided to stop at Six Flags in Jackson, New Jersey, and it was the perfect way to finish our vacation. We rode the Ferris Wheel, the roller coasters, the tea cups, ate funnel cake and had the best time, trying not to think about the fact that school started in 2 days. Possibly my favourite moment of the summer was going on the Saw Mill Log Flume. I tried to burn in into my mind, all 5 of us laughing, screaming and getting soaked on that log ride. Probably my happiest moment of the summer. I had a stranger snap a pic of us when we got off the ride so I could always remember:)

Darryl also had the awesome idea in the early hours of the morning of stopping at the Sacred Grove on the way home for Father's Blessings to help with them beginning school, and I am so glad he did. I am so grateful he honours his priesthood. He blessed each one of the kids that they would have success and be spiritually strengthened in the year to come. I will never forget that morning:)

No comments:

Post a Comment