Monday, August 11, 2014

My 6 year old lady


Although I am late, as per usual, and although I have a million things in my head I want to blog about this summer, before I do any of that, I must take a moment to write my oldest her birthday letter.

My Sweet Chlo Chlo, 

In so many ways it is hard to believe that you are six. I feel like it was just yesterday we were walking home from the hospital with you in your stroller, and in other ways you have always had such an old soul, you seem more like sixty than six.

You have had another successful summer of swimming and continue to be our little fish. Last week at Family Camp, Lucas decided the fastest fish in the world should be named the "Chlofin" after you. You love the water. You love food. You will try anything that's going and I love that about you. You are kind and generous and go out of your way to make others feel included. You are like your mama in that you are up for something almost single day. You love to keep up a fast pace, always wanting to seize the day, accomplishing and seeing as much as you can. 

You wish you were twelve. You think everything great will happen for you when you turn twelve. You are convinced life will be perfect when you are twelve. You are constantly asking when you can go to Young Women, when you can baby-sitt, when you can go inside the temple, when you can wear make-up, when you can go to Girls' Camp etc. and the answer is always twelve. 

You love your American dolls, your purses, lip gloss, your friends, writing and drawing. You are doing so well at putting sentences together on paper. I love finding sweet notes from you on my side table at night. You love your family. Immediate and extended, always remembering them in your prayers and asking when you can see them. You are so good to your siblings, always helping and hugging them and showing them by example how to behave.

Often times, I wish you had a better mother. One who was more patient, one who didn't have unrealistic expectations of you and one who was quicker to understand and listen to what you need. Your auntie and I talked about how hard it is raising an oldest child, trying your best and hoping desperately that you don't mess them up. You love them so deeply and want so much for them, but at the same time you have no clue what you are doing. I know how hard it can be, being an "oldest" child myself, and I remind myself often that you are only six years old and not always the old soul that you seem. You are still a little girl. My little girl. And you and I will figure this out together.

I love you more than anything my darling girl. Happy birthday xoxo

1 comment: