Friday, April 5, 2013

I LOVE my calling


Since I have been in this ward, I have had the chance to serve in some pretty awesome callings. I feel really blessed to have had the opportunities to stretch myself in different capacities. I have been a counsellor in Young Women, a counsellor in Primary, a counsellor in Relief Society, teacher in Relief Society, Primary music leader, Gospel doctrine teacher and now recently, I have come back to the calling I started with in this ward 9 years ago. My calling as 2nd counsellor in Young Women has really changed our lives around here. For the better. Devoting so much time to it has brought the Spirit into our home. Logically it doesn't make a lot of sense, since I don't know where I have found the extra hours in the day to do it and keep up with things around here, but things are really running smoother than they have in awhile. The new Come Follow Me curriculum for the girls is amazing, and I have so enjoyed the way the lessons have changed, forcing me to be better prepared and ponder the lesson material during the week.  I have a greater desire to to be in tune with the Spirit for the Young Women as well as my own family. Darryl has been really supportive, looking after things while I went to EFY, Tuesday night activities, temple trips, BYC, firesides, stake activities, auxiliary training, etc. I am really excited to go to Girls Camp this summer too. I thought having so many activities would  be the part of the calling that I would find draining, but the other girls in the presidency assured me it would rejuvenate me and I would feed off the girls' energy, and they were right. They are so much fun and there are times the Spirit is so strong. Luckily, my kids are asleep for a lot these activities and don't even know I'm gone. When I come home, even when it's late, I feel energized. And lucky. So lucky I get to spend so much time with these remarkable girls. I love being with them. I love having them in my home. I love getting to know them better.

We had a presidency meeting here at my house today. I really look forward to these meetings when we get together to discuss how we can help the girls, and in the process, we always seem to (almost selfishly) help ourselves too. We talked for hours. We prayed. We really want these girls to gain their own testimonies of the gospel, and most importantly, help them get to the temple to make their own covenants with God. We talk about our concerns, our hopes for them, and how best to love them. I am so grateful to work with these amazing women who are great examples to me.

Last night as I folded me laundry, I watched a training meeting that was broadcast from Salt Lake for YW leaders all over the world. It was so amazing. It made me feel so blessed to be part of such a wonderful, worldwide organization. I have always felt, no matter what auxiliary I was serving in, that my heart was in Relief Society. And although I still love and feel part of the RS, I know Young Women is where I am meant to be, and I hope that I am here for a long, long time.

1 comment:

  1. Young Womens is so awesome. It's been a long while since I've served there, but I know I'll be back there again someday. The O-ville ladies are blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete