Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What's New......



















Lots of upstairs painting and preparation for Baby Claire, and the finishing touches on Carter's big boy room. I am in love with all the lavender and black in the baby's room and can't wait to spend some long nights in there in the near future. I am not newborn crazy, but there is something so magical in those first few weeks of a new baby's life. My kids are hilarious and they have been making me laugh a lot this summer. I so enjoy being their mom. And I hate saying this, but I SO LOVE being the mom of a 3 and almost 2 year-old SO much more than being the mom of a 1 and 2 year old. This summer has been so much fun because they can both walk, talk, and (kinda) survive without a nap for a day or two if we are out and about. I love them so much, and I always have, but I feel like I have really have finally figured out my groove with these two monkeys. I think it's also a result of just being home more, just the three of us, playing games, doing puzzles and trying to give them my 100 percent of my attention, instead of endless play dates, jumping every time the phone rings, etc. and I have noticed a HUGE change in Chlo's behavior these past few weeks, she has really come along way. I just kinda feel for the first time I'm actually in control of my kids instead of the other way around. Of course, that's the perfect time for to have a new baby! :)

Some funny things I love lately:

This is a daily dialogue between Carter and myself about 20 times a day:
Carter: Mommy!
Me: Yes Carter?
Carter: Where are you?
Me: Right here babe
Carter: Oh
(this goes on even when I standing right in front of him)

Chloe:
"pudider"-computer
"To for Mom?" - what for
"Nectarine" - trampoline
"It's just us big ladies, right Mum? Not those stinky boys"
"I be your friend, Mom?" Then Carter always echos "Friend!"
" I not say shut up, right Mom? So rude"
"So good!!!"

Nephi is a big hit in our house these days. I have watched Nephi's Journey to the Promised Land and Nephi and the Brass Plates about 387 times this summer. Hence, we've been singing Nephi's Courage a lot.

Chlo's version:
The Lord commanded Nephi to go and build a boat.
Nephi's only brother said it not float
Laughing and mocking shouldn't shouldn't try
Nephi was a crazy (Darryl's fave part, he laughs every time)this reply,
I will go I will do the bookie mormon says.
Repeat 30 times

Carter's version:
Builda builda boat
GO!!!!!!!!!! DO!!!!!!!!!!!
Repeat 30 times.


The kids had a weekend with my parents in Bradford so they could take them to "Carrotfest" a big event in my farming home town, and we could have our very first weekend with no kids. They have never stayed over 2 nights before, and it was a little nerve racking, but they were fine, and Darryl and I said over and over again how it felt like a second honeymoon, sleeping in, eating out, shopping, doing whatever we want! We went to the movies, Swiss Chalet, Shoeless Joe's with Matt and Sarah, who also happened to be kid-less the same time we were, went to church alone, it was really great, but by Sunday I was missing them really bad and anxious to see them. They had a fabulous time, just like I knew they would, but I did miss them terribly. Darryl did too. We often talk about maybe taking a five day holiday some place hot next year after the baby is finished nursing, but we both said after this weekend, neither one of us were anywhere near ready for that. Still, it was so lovely to have a nice break during this busy summer. We finished up Carter's big boy room in hopes he would come home and sleep in his new bed, but no such luck. Since we gave our other crib to Dylan and Emily, and set up the other one for Claire, he is in his playpen, next to his bed, till he feels like he's ready. Chlo was hilarious when she came upstairs and saw it for the first time. "Oh my gosh, I love it!" She said it about 20 times!

Last week, we had lots of fun at the Mandarin with our good friends, and found out Miss Mandy Fuller was expecting again in February! So excited for them, and I can't wait till we can sit and snuggle our tiny little ones together. Hopefully she'll have a boy and I can get rid of all my little man's stuff. Went to the splash pad to cool off with the cousins, and made at trip to my grandparents so they could take their great-grandkids to the Hanover Racetrack to see the horses, like they used to do with their grandkids, I thought Chloé would be enthralled with it all and I would be chasing Carter, but that wasn't the case. Carter totally loved every second of it, laughing and clapping, and I think he would've stayed there all night. It was so cute to see him and my grandma having such a good time together. Chlo was just anxious to get back to my grandparent's house and have a sleepover and play. I was too. Their house is so much fun for kids. They have 50 acres to run and play, and tones of little treasures inside the house. My grandmother is a fabulous cook, and my favorite part is seeing what kind of food she has come up with, and she didn't disappoint. I'm sure I gained 5 pounds in 2 days. We had peach pie, strawberry tea bread with strawberry butter, peach muffins, coleslaw, potato salad, and the most amazing sandwiches. She toasted ciabatta buns, spread them with pesto garlic butter, red pepper jelly, and put barbequed turkey and pear on top. It was so divine, she always gets things like this from the Ontario calendars and books at the grocery store, and they always turn out so good. Since they grow most of their own food, everything tastes so fresh. One Darryl and I had toasted tomato cucumber sandwiches at midnight, fresh from the garden, and the difference in taste is amazing when compared with produce from the store. It almost makes me want to plant a garden. Almost.

It was our 7 year anniversary on August 28th, (and Hudson's 2nd birthday party, really fun, the one chilly day we had this summer)and we both said we didn't want gifts or anything, we had had a fantastic summer with a date almost every week, so we left it that. Then Darryl mentioned he was going to buy me an external hard drive to put all of my pictures, home movies etc. on since I freaked out so badly when my computer crashed this year. Plus I have stuff on all three computers in our house and it drives me crazy when I am on one and need something on another. I was relieved he didn't though. I told him I would've been mad if he did, we said no gifts and I didn't need one desperately anyway.

Then about a week later I changed my mind. I announced I was going out to buy one for myself to get all my stuff organized, I was tired of being disorganized and it was a good idea after all. And then he pulled one out of the garage. "I knew you'd change your mind" he said. "Happy Anniversary" He winked at me and set in on my lap. I love that man.

1 comment:

  1. Love all the pics of your kids (I especially LOVE chloe's beautiful curls) - and you are gorgeous as always! Looks like you've been having lots of fun this summer. Makes me feel like maybe I too will be able to handle my kids even though they are so close in age!

    ReplyDelete